Thursday, November 1, 2012

Staying fit while you are pregnant!

The other day, I had a great conversation with a circle of friends. Two of the friends were martial arts instructors. The third was an instructor and a personal trainer. One of the instructors asked us if a student should be practicing martial arts if she is pregnant? That is a great question and a legitimate concern for her/baby's health and safety. Everyone chimed in except for the older instructor who I suspect was curious so see what the others would say. The first instructor said that she should not train at all. The next instructor who was a trainer said that she should trained and named a new safety parameters. Then, the group looked at me and asked what did I suggest. I told them that she should inform her doctor and ask what he suggest. Then, she should return to training with a doctor's note stating that she is cleared to train with details of the limitations. The older instructors seemed to be quite pleased with that answer. However, the instructor who was a trainer was not. He argued that doctors (in general) do not know what they are talking about when it comes to fitness. I then, jumped in to remind him that if she is pregnant that she is seeing a specialist. In addition, that you cannot make any suggestions until she has clearance. If she is considered high risk certain types of exercise could put her of the baby at risk.

In the end, you can stay fit while you are pregnant. Just just have to see your doctor and let him or her know exactly what you are doing or plan to do. Then, you will need to give a letter of clearance to your instructors or trainer. Stay fit & stay safe.

Listen to your doctor!