Thursday, October 25, 2012

Business Solutions

Connecting the dots!

Business Story
The other day I had lunch with a good friend who is a businessman that owns and runs several of his own businesses. We had a great time catching up. Then, he asked me to consult him for a few minutes. I was very curious to see what was going on. he began telling me about a great employee that he had who spearheaded some of his companies large missions. Immediately, I asked where was this going. He was quick to tell me that it was not going where I had anticipated. He said that this guys works super had. He comes in early and stays late. He is always available when ever he called or emailed. So, naturally I asked what was the problem. He said that just as he works more with the guy he finds out more and more about him. Also, that he is starting to feel like the employee was holding back what maybe some crucial information in his interview. So, to clarify, I just came out and said what's the problem? Is it a trust issue? He responded by saying yes it is. I laughed and looked at him and asked if he expected to know everything about every person that works for him? Then, I reminded him that I have been in on a few of his interviews. Immediately and defensively he asked me what does that mean. I simply told him that sometimes in his interviews he talks more about himself instead of asking all of the questions that he needs answered. I also told him that if he missed a step that it's not the employees fault. He needs to be more organized and structured in these meeting. I also reminded him to look at what this guy has done and is doing for him. After that was said he laughed and said you're right.
   While trust is always important, bosses, we have to be as organized for better prepared than our employees. We have to demonstrate the behavior and work ethic that we expect.


Enjoy!